Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Soiree was fun!

One of my "My brain is full now!" procrastinations on the weekend was going to Soiree. Here's a piccie of the view from high table

PA210017_soiree2

Was pleasant to listen to quite a lot of performance and also do a bit of dancing. There was also plenty of good food. Mmmm. I think someone told me they were period recipes, which would explain why the combinations seemed a little unusual (in a good way).

p.s. I just had some fresh tamarind. Yum! Thankyou MissKrin!

4 comments:

Tatya said...

They sure were period recipies, all 14th century German too. Took me a while to do all the redactions, but I had fun. I'm glad you liked my food!

Tatya said...

They sure were period recipies, all 14th century German too. Took me a while to do all the redactions, but I had fun. I'm glad you liked my food!

MrSnerg said...

Cool! Where did you find the recipes? Did you have to modify them much?

Tatya said...

I used two online resources, Ein buch von guter spise (http://cs-people.bu.edu/akatlas/Buch/buch.html), and Das kochbuch des Meisters Eberhard (http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Food/GermanCookbooks/MeisterEberhard.html).

I reccomend Ein Buch, and used it for all but two of the dishes I served. Das Kochbuch has quite a few pre-redacted dishes in it, but I found them unsatisfying. All the dishes at Soiree were from my own redactions.

If you go to the Stowe home page though (http://www.sca.org.au/stow/newsletter.html), the recipe I created for the spiced cherry pie is in the last newsletter for 2006.

There were a lot of dishes in Ein buch that I would have loved to try out, but I had two problems. I couldn't find a source of violets, or violet water, and cannot actually smell them myself. I lack a certain taste/smell receptor gene. It would have been funny to try to serve a dish with the major flavour agent being a complete mystery to me. But probably not funny haha.

I have to admit, my flat-mates were very tolerant, coming home often to find dinner was an experiment. =^..^=